Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Texas Coleslaw

I'm trying to type this out on my phone, so it will be short and sweet!

Recipe 13: Texas Coleslaw

Here is another recipe from AllRecipes. I had a little cabbage left over from St. Patrick's day, so I added a small head of red cabbage, and whipped this up. As you can probably tell, we are a spice loving family, and we were pretty happy with the kick. I did use a little less cumin than called for, and added a scant quarter cup of sugar, partially because I used bottled lime juice, which tends to be bitter. The one thing to note is that it does mess up the refreshing quality of a standard coleslaw.

Speaking of, here is my standard slaw recipe, which is as basic as they come.

1 small head of cabbage, cut into small pieces
2 (or so) grated carrots
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mayo
1 teaspoon (or more for desired consistency) lemon juice and/or apple cidar vinegar.

"One head of cabbage" isn't exactly a standard unit, of course, so I generally find I need to double the dressing to get everything covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment